When presenting as a woman, every detail counts. The right handbag pulls your outfit together and is the finishing touch to your feminine look.
The wrong bag, however, can spoil an otherwise perfect outfit and even call attention to body flaws. Who needs that?
In this blog post, where I offer tips for crossdressers and trans women, I share 6 things to consider when choosing a handbag.
Length is an important and often overlooked detail. Your handbag accentuates the part of your body it falls next to, so keep these tips in mind:
- To make your hips look wider, choose a bag that falls at hip level.
- To make your waist look more shapely, choose a waist-length bag.
Handbags can range in shape from square and structured to soft and rounded. To provide balance, look for a bag with features that are the opposite of your body. For example:
- If you have a straight body shape, look for a slouchy or rounded bag to create the illusion of curves.
- If you’re on the heavier or rounded side, a more structured bag will flatter your features.
Your handbag should compliment your overall body proportions. If you’re tall and/or have a sturdy build, a tiny bag may appear out of place.
Conversely, if you’re petite, an oversized bag can overwhelm your frame. Opt for a bag that harmonizes perfectly with your proportions.
A bag that’s too casual or too formal for the rest of your outfit is a common fashion faux pas. Study fashion magazines and blogs to learn which bags look best with specific outfits.
Pinterest is another fantastic resource for discovering bag-and-outfit combinations that inspire your style.
Your handbag should not only be stylish but also functional.
There’s nothing more frustrating than a small bag that can’t hold your essentials or constantly losing items in an overly large bag.
Ensure that the size and compartments of your bag suit your needs perfectly.
Color is one of the most important handbag considerations. Here are two tips to keep in mind:
- Forget about the old rule to match your bag to your shoes. While your bag and shoes should coordinate, they don’t have to be an exact match.
- A black or brown bag will give you the most mileage, but don’t be afraid to try something different. Red, burgundy, forest green, and dark blue are surprisingly versatile handbag colors.
Let’s talk handbags!
As much as I love shoes, I might be even more obsessed with bags. That’s why my collection is constantly growing.
What about you? How many bags do YOU own?
Take my poll and tell me about your favorite bag in the comments below! Even better, share a photo of it with us!
P.S. If you liked this article, you will love my FREE Male to Female Transformation Mini Course.
Free Male to Female
Get FREE INSTANT ACCESS to My Male to Female Transformation Mini Course
Your information is 100% secure and will never be shared with anybody.